How to Prepare GK & English for SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam:
SSC CHSL Exam is conducted by the Staff Selection Commission of India as a combined higher secondary level exam that helps for recruitment for Data Entry Operators and Lower Division Clerks. This exam is conducted in two phases which can also be known as the Tier 1 Exam and the Tier 2 Exam. The Tier 1 Exam will be conducted in March – April of 2018. The results for these will be announced around May 2018. The candidates who succeed in clearing the level 1 exam will only be going ahead and moving to Tier 2. Similarly, the Tier 2 Exam will be conducted in June 2018 and the final result will be declared in July 2018.
Prepare GK & English for SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam
Now that you have understood the timeline for these exams, you must realize that this is the right time to start preparation. In order to plan your schedule, you must go through the SSC CHSL Tier 1 Syllabus.
Preparation For SSC CHSL Exam : Tips & Strategy
In the Tier 1 Exam, there are 4 sections –
- English Language
- General Awareness
- General Intelligence
- Quantitative Aptitude
In this article, we are going to prepare you for General Awareness and English Language.
How to Prepare the English Language for SSC CHSL 2017 – 2018
In order for study English, you can rely on the following books –
- Quick Learning Objective General English- RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal
- Objective English for Competitive Examinations- Tata McGraw Hill
- Competitive General English- Kiran Prakashan
- Objective General English- S P Bakshi
The exam will comprise of 25 questions having 2 marks each. The section will be evaluated to a total of 50 marks.
The Important Topics Include :
- Spot the Error
- Comprehension Passage
- Shuffling of Sentence parts
- Fill in the Blanks
- Spellings/ Detecting Improvement of Sentences
- Mis-spelt words
- One word substitution
- Cloze Passage
- Conversion into Direct/Indirect narration
- Idioms & Phrases
- Active/Passive Voice
- Verb Shuffling of Sentences in a passage
In order to score good marks in English, you can take the following steps so that you will improve your command on the language in general and not just study for the SSC CHSL Exam.
- Read books and newspapers every day. If there is something that can actually improve your vocabulary and give you an actual sense of how things are going in the real world where people actually communicate using English, it is reading books and looking at the language in actual use. For this, you will have to read by underlining the new words that you encounter and finding the meaning of them from a good dictionary.
- You can always choose a new word for a day which you will try to use throughout the day so that it becomes a part of your vocabulary.
- Start using English with your friends and watching English television so that you can start making complex sentences with the correct grammar in everyday life as well.
- Practicing at least one comprehension passage every day will make sure that your speed and accuracy while answering the most time-consuming questions also changes.
- You can buy the books suggested above and answer questions each day to improve each section. You can solve 20 questions each day from all the topics suggested above so that you give equal importance to each section.
- When you realize the topics that are weak, you can read more about them and practice them repeatedly.
- For questions in which you have to remember certain terms like synonyms and antonyms, you can make notes which you will read at least once every week and make sure they are well struck in your memory.
How to prepare General Awareness for SSC CHSL 2017 – 2018
For General Awareness you can refer the following books to study and make sure that you take the latest editions of these books for best results. These books contain the questions that are most recent and are more probable to be asked in the exam.
- Lucent’s General Knowledge (English and Hindi)
- Manorama Yearbook (English and Hindi)
These questions will be designed to test any candidate’s general knowledge and his level of awareness of all the ongoing news in the society. They depend on the candidate’s observation skills and memory retention power. They also judge if you have an opinion about certain things and how your brain makes you interested in certain sections of the news that are more relevant to your job. Your awareness about technology related subjects will also be tested and they want to ensure that you are well versed with the latest advancements that are taking place each day.
There is no defined syllabus for the topic of general awareness but all you really need is an interest in reading news and awareness about what is happening in the world.
Here are some tips that will be really helpful if you are preparing for SSC CHSL General Awareness 2017-2018 are –
- Watch the daily news updates on news channels that sum up everyday news in 15 minutes.
- Read newspapers for better results as they give a more holistic view of what is happening.
- Know about the new government policies and how they have impacted the Indian Citizens.
- Make a list of all the important ministers in power and keep revising it before the day of the exam.
- Know about the popular longest, largest, smallest, shortest details about different things and the world records made in the previous years for various things.
- The national awards like Padam Shri, Padam Bhushan Padam Vibhushan awardees for this year should also be known. Other important awards that are awarded by the President and Prime Minister can also be asked in the exam.
- If you have strong basics of History, Economics, Science etc. up to class 10 the questions will be very easy for you to crack.
We hope that this article has been able to help you create a plan to prepare for SSC CHSL 2017-18 exam General Awareness and English Language sections. Always remember that practice and perseverance are the true keys to success when it comes to competitive exams. Never lose hope for SSC exams.